We are honored to invite you to Urban Entrepreneurship Symposium 2015 (#UES2015). Last year, #UES2014 in Ann Arbor was a tremendous success. With a high caliber of speakers and dynamic audience engagement, the community convened to discuss, share, and rethink the methods and strategies for creating businesses specifically designed to serve urban communities.
This year we are producing an even bigger, more innovative program: we’ll relocate to the College For Creative Studies in Detroit to explore sustainable, scalable, and disruptive urban entrepreneurship. Our aim is to give people the information they need to establish for-profit businesses that benefit people in urban communities.
- Keynote address by Miguel McKelvey, co-founder and chief creative officer of WeWork, Inc. This innovative, urban-focused startup provides workspace, community, and services for entrepreneurs around the world, and has already achieved a market valuation in excess of $10 billion.
- Luncheon panel on “The University’s Role in Spurring Urban Innovation,” which will include Lou Anna K. Simon, President of Michigan State University; Antoine Garibaldi, President of University of Detroit Mercy; and Cynthia Wilbanks, University of Michigan Vice-President for Government Relations. The panel will be chaired by Ned Staebler, Wayne State University Vice-President for Economic Development and CEO of TechTown Detroit.
- Morning panel discussions on urban problem “mining,” community engagement strategies, scalable urban business models, and business models that support entry-level employment. These panel moderators and participants are all people who are creating solutions in their respective areas of concern. Ample opportunity will be provided for audience interaction.
- Afternoon Solution Seminars on financing innovative urban startups, the process of conceiving and developing an urban-focused business, community engagement and “human-centered design” methods and strategies, and ways that urban startups can find, develop, and protect critical intellectual property. These seminars will be led by experts in their respective fields who will be supported by additional subject matter contributors.
- Evening Networking Reception that will allow relaxed, collegial interaction among attendees, speakers and panelists, and community leaders.
Help us spread the word about this ground-breaking event! Click here to view and download a PDF of the event flyer.
For up-to-date information about the #UES2015 program, please click here.
To see the recent announcement concerning the #UES2015 keynote speaker and event sponsors, click here.
What: Urban Entrepreneurship Symposium 2015
When: Friday, October 23, 2015 8:00 am to 4:30 pm (Networking reception 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm)
Where: College for Creative Studies, A. Alfred Taubman Center for Design Education
6400 Cass Avenue – 11th Floor, Detroit, MI 48202