See our speakers!
Thanks to our sponsors!
Do you serve entrepreneurs? Join THE MATRIX!
October 19-21, 2016
#UES2016: Empowering Community Innovation!
The third annual Urban Entrepreneurship Symposium will convene entrepreneurs and thought leaders in business, academia, community organizations, and government in order to promote and facilitate business innovation that improves the quality of life in urban communities. The location and focus of this year’s symposium will be the city of Flint, Michigan. Flint’s widely publicized water crisis has dealt a devastating blow to that city. #UES2016 will focus the best minds in the city, region, and country on applying entrepreneurial innovation to revitalize Flint and similar communities.
The things we will do…
- Focus the entrepreneur community on solving urban problems via for-profit businesses.
- Forge productive connections between entrepreneurs, investors, students, faculty, and urban communities.
- Identify important urban problems that can benefit from for-profit business innovation.
- Identify new business models that can result in repeatable, scalable businesses that address key urban problems.
- Identify and recognize existing businesses that are applying innovative business models to solve important urban problems.
- Share best practices in community engagement, problem identification, human-centered design, business model creation and validation, finance and support systems, and other key areas.
The results we will achieve…
- Identify and document specific Flint, Michigan problems that can be addressed via entrepreneurial innovation.
- Document innovative business models for addressing two key Flint area concerns: infrastructure improvement and access to decent-paying entry-level jobs.
- Engage many students from local and regional universities in community discovery, business model challenge competitions, business model research and documentation, and seminars.
- Engage a broad cross-section of the Flint community to enhance local entrepreneurial culture.
- Provide Flint community discovery data to current and potential entrepreneurs to inform their business development efforts.
- Compare and contrast Flint entrepreneur ecosystem development plans with other cities.
- Provide useful information on methods, strategies, and resources to students and aspiring entrepreneurs.
- Identify and document new entrepreneur resources available to Flint.
- Construct and maintain database of all symposium participants.